Tuesday 5 June 2012

My Paddy Pinnings: 3. Irish Red Cheddar


You know when something is such a big staple in your life, always there, that you truly didn't realise how important it was until it was gone? I'm having this feeling about Irish Red Cheddar. Cheddar was by no means my favorite cheese, it was just always there for me, the cheese I grated into my sandwiches, the cheese I placed on my burgers or used in my mexican dishes. Yet if I was to have a fancy wine and cheese night it would be the Bries, the Smoked Goudas or the Camemberts that commonly end up on my cracker. Cheddar was like the reliable and supportive older brother that you always took for granted. Now I am at a loss as to what should be melting on top of my hamburger, Swiss cheese, agg it's just not the same.

I was actually discussing this online with a close friend who's over in Brown university in Boston doing her PHD (I think she's trying to teach a monkey how to wrestle robots, rocket a mouse to Uranus with just her thumb or some other such science). She said to me that I probably miss red cheddar because it is 'the redhead of the cheese world' and hence my affinity for it.

Makes sense, I think.

GBM

No comments:

Post a Comment