Monday 8 October 2012

One Step to Stepford



Sunday came along yesterday with zero plans and a grandiose amount of free time, so I took it upon myself to get my inner Martha Stewart on and bake for the second time in my life. There is something about kneading dough that is thoroughly relaxing especially if everything is going your way. I decided to use the Gino D'Acampo's 'Italian Home Baking' book that my two best girlies from my previous job in Ireland, got for me as a going away present (ladies I think I might make the baking a regular thing on Sundays so top marks on the gift). So it was to be Filone All'Arrabbiata or for those who don't Italian, a  spicy rustic loaf with chilli and cayenne pepper. 

The book itself has some great tips for the wannabe baker, things I would never have thought about like how to knead correctly, how to make sure the dough does not stick to your hands or how to get that wonderful brown crisp texture to your bread. I was worried that it it would be a bit of a disaster given my being a newb and all but apart from a few niggly things my second foray in to the world of flour and yeast was a rip-roaring success. One hot n' spicy rip-roaring success even if I do say so myself. 

Husband, beautiful flower that he is, made some broccoli and blue cheese soup for accompaniment (Gino recommends that the bread be eaten with soup or cheese so we decided 'hey, why not both'). All in all it made for a delicious Sunday afternoon dinner. 

Honestly though I am at a point now where this House Husband malark would be preferable as something to do in my downtime and I am getting the itch to get back to work. I'm getting there, it's been slow and hard but I am getting there.

GBM
        

8 comments:

  1. Ooo...the whole meal sounds really yummy. Your bread looks amazing, GBM.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that bread, and with the soup? Yum.

    I once had to bake bread as part of an economics class in 7th grade. It forgot the yeast, or didn't do whatever needed to be done to the yeast, and I baked two dough bricks.

    Haven't tried it since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give it another go boy, practice indeed does make perfect

      Delete
  3. Yum I'll be right over for dinner save me some bread

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a little Becca pile in the fridge waiting :-D

      Delete
  4. My daughter wants to give baking bread a whirl, last week she tried baking bread rolls with so so success.......your bread looks like it turned out ok..........

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did J, get her to keep trying and I am sure it will come good eventually

      Delete