Friday 12 October 2012

Preempting my Jogging Failcess

Actual representation
I'm coining the word Failcess as this 10K I am about to do, could go either way and I am preparing for the worst. Here I sit now on this eve of jogging, about to embark on my biggest running milestone, nay sporting milestone even and I feel well, tired really.

These last few days have seen me busy, up ridiculously early in the mornings and not sleeping at night, maybe it's a bit of pre-race jitters, I do not know but what I do know is that I want my leaba (thats Irish for my bed).

So plenty of rest and relaxation is the order of today and it couldn't come sooner. Yesterday was a bit of a terrifying eye opener that made me realise how easily my 10k could turn into a jogging nightmare. I think I had maybe only slept about 3 hours on Wednesday night, a weird mixture of Husband and I being a bit giddy, staying up messing around way past our bedtimes, restless stirring in ones sleep after finally conking out and how the wet weather is making the cars and trucks that pass the road in front of our apartment sound ever so louder. Then to makes matters worse I suddenly  awoke with an overreactive gasp and the thought that I had left my umbrella in the entrance of our local convient store.

Similar example of my overreactive gasp 


So I spent the morning lying in bed trying to salvage my last chance saloon of a few more hours sleep lamenting umbrellas lost only for when my alarm finally goes off and I sleepily shuffle to the front door to see said umbrella waiting for me, safe and sound. What unnecessary nonsense, why didn't I just get up and check, instead of incessantly flustering about my bed in a state of bother and unease? Oh what brolly folly!

Needless to say this lead to a day of wanderment surrounded in a sleepy haze, I was the 'Walking Unslept' but still had important things to do despite my zombification so had no time to rest all day. Yet when Husband arrived home from work and egged me on to do one last pre-race 5K, I foolishly went along with him. Oh dear, 1.5K in I realised that all figures in the distance were looking rather foggy and blurry to me, the only way to get my vision back was to walk slowly. This was worrisome.  Then the inside of my mouth began to feel weird, kind of metallic, like it was full of blood yet also completely dry at the same time, I tried to spit to be sure there was no blood in my mouth but nothing came fort (sorry guys, this is kinda disgusting).  

When I reached a fountain I gargled some water and spat it out to check and it came out clear, no blood. My exhausted mind was playing tricks on me but at this point I decided it was time to go home. Walked home, felt weird, slightly worried about the race now. Grr, why did I not trust my gut to not go out yesterday, this setback has sent me into a state of flux. 

So today rest, relax, nada, bupkiss, I will veg on couch and to bed early. No worrisome brollies, no more terrible pre-race runs, just a whole lot of nothing. Tomorrow will come and go and whatever way I look at it there will be a good story to tell. The weather promises to be better and the town of Hallwill where the run is located is apparently beautiful. So whatever way it goes it will be worth the experience.

And finally the idea of failceeding is starting to seem more interesting to me than success or failure ever did. Three cheers for mediocrity and one bump to averageness.

All I ever wanted to say was that I did it anyway.

GBM 

12 comments:

  1. aw honey hope you get rest and feel better. Good luck with the 10k you are way better then me running is something I no longer do. anyways go rest and be relaxed so you'll be ready to take on the challenge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca, I should be grand just having a moan really and you know it was a little weird on Thurs is all

      Delete
  2. Dear GBM,
    Good luck, honey! Can't wait to hear how it goes. Two things - be sure to get a picture at the finish line and drink a celebratory beer (I hear it's good for you after a long run).
    Love,
    Terese

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes T, I can almost taste that beer now. Awesome!

      Delete
  3. Zombie! Kill it! Oh, sorry, you just "felt" like a zombie. Neve mind. I hate that feeling during a jog. It usually happens when I'm hungover and try to run it off, but yeah, it sucks. Best of luck to you on race day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Instead of saying 'Brains' I was groaning 'Bed' everywhere I limped

      Delete
  4. I regret not training for the 10k I ran in the summer. Biggest mistake EVER! Will add that to my list of things I should never do again. Good luck with the race and relax a little. you won't regret it! :) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yeah should work out, just preparing for the worst just in case

      Delete
  5. You can do it, GBM. I believe in you. Rest today and do your best tomorrow. *hugs* :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Liane, your encouragement means the world to me. Okay I'll do it for you

      Delete
  6. Relax. It's not as if we're expecting you to win the gold in your age group. :) It's running. Start out slower than your adrenaline will want to make you go, feed off the energy of those running with you and cheering you on and you can always walk a bit.

    Know you goal. What is it - to complete in x amount of time or to just complete? Have a big carb meal the night before (no cheese!) and mix your drinks while you run- half water half sports drink (you can switch back and forth or you can dilute).

    You're you and healthy. You'll do better than you think. Last year (Aug 2011) my 22 year old nephew fell off a roof (one story) and fractured his skull in 5 places. The expected him to die, less then 5% of waking from his coma and if he did, 95% he'd be a vegetable. He woke in 13 days, walked out in 20 and was back in college for the January semester. He had no brain damage. This september he ran in the Hospital's Half marathon (he really trained) and finished 2nd in his age group and 10th overall - 1:29:30.

    Good luck and enjoy the celebratory beer! Can't wait to read all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You can do it darl'n. I know you can.

    And if for some reason it doesnt happen, then at least you gave it a good go.

    And while you recover over a cold beer or three, doodle me a doodle on the beer coaster... hehe

    ReplyDelete